My friend Kian invited me over last night, and we made a really yummy recipe up together! Whenever I have tried to cook pre-created recipes with friends or other people, I have had a challenge doing so for some reason. But this time not following a specific recipe worked really well, and Kian and I made a really good team! Lucky for you all (my blog readers!) I did write what we did down so you can make it too!
Thank you Kian (if you are reading this!) for helping me figure out this delicious dish, and for making the (un)cooking extra fun with awesome conversation!
First of all, to make this recipe work well, you will either need a spiralizer, or some kind of a spiral cutter. I recently got this device from amazon, and that is what we used. It took a few tries to figure out exactly since it does not come with directions. Basically, you just push it into the middle and spin it around. It’s kind of like a veggie pencil sharpener!
Okay, so here is the recipe:
Laura and Kian’s Raw Vegan Pad Thai!
Serves 8-10, would be the perfect size for a picnic, potluck, or party too if you eat smaller portions
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- about 5 large zucchinis (we actually used ten mini ones) spiralized into a thick spaghetti type shape, but it’s okay if some pieces aren’t very long. We even used the parts that we could not get to spiral and just chopped them up into rounds to add some different textures in
- 3 medium sized carrots
- Mung bean sprouts (we used a large bag, probably about 4 cups, adjust to your liking/desired level of crunchy-ness!)
- 1 bunch chopped scallions
- 14 tbsp raw cashew butter (I made my own…I would say you could process 2 cups raw cashews into a powder, then add 2 tbsp oil and some water as needed until it becomes pasty…or use store bought)
- 8 tbsp coconut milk
- Juice of one lime
- 4 to 5 (or to your liking) tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ginger (grated into a pulp)
- 2 cloves minced garlic (or less to your liking, it gets very strong when it’s raw)
- about 1/3-1/2 cup chopped raw cashews (to place on top as garnish)1 bunch (or less)
- Chopped cilantro (optional-I just put a tbsp of it on top after I served myself)
- Chop the red peppers, spiralize the zucchini into noodle shapes, spiralize or peel the carrots in strips with a peeler, chop the scallions. Place in a large serving bowl, add the mung bean sprouts, and toss together.
- Now to make the sauce. In a medium bowl, place the cashew butter into it. Add the coconut milk, lime juice, and water. Whisk or stir with a spoon until combined. Add more water, a tbsp at a time, if necessary to reach your desired consistency (it’s really good thick, though! plus the veggies have water in them!)
- Mix in the garlic, ginger, and curry powder into the sauce.
- Mix the sauce into the veggies, making sure every part of it is coated.
- Add the cilantro if desired.
- Place the chopped cashews on top!
Pingback: Busy weekend! | Banana Curl, Vegan Girl