Yesterday I wanted cookies, but I also wanted cupcakes at the same time. So I came up with a compromise on this cookie recipe.
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance
- 3/4 cup organic evaporated cane juice
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp red food coloring (make sure it’s vegan…some have glycerine or cochineal in them…red 40 is vegan though…you could skip this if you’re against food colorings but they won’t be red velvet…)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the mixing bowl of a stand electric mixer, cream together the Earth Balance and evaporated cane juice.
- Add applesauce, extracts, apple cider vinegar, food coloring, and almond milk.
- Add flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder and mix until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.
- Put some powdered sugar in a bowl, roll 1 tbsp of the dough into a ball, and roll in the powdered sugar.
- Flatten cookies with your hand on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, mine were done at 12.
- Let sit for five minutes than transfer to a cooling rack. They are good still warm, but the texture when cooled is really more awesome. Like a chewy yet caky cookie. Perfect for what I set out for!