So I realize Friday’s theme might be a little confusing, but it’s pizza and pie day, but the pie recipes rotate along with pizza recipes. The pies are pot pies that you’d eat for a meal, not desserts.
Here is the first one:
Broccoli, Tempeh Bacon, and Cheese (nutritional yeast based) Pot Pie:
I had originally made this for a pot pie day at Girls Rock RI’s volunteer lunch during the camp this Summer, and it was a big hit! I made it again to make sure I had it down pat (and because I hadn’t even tried it during the camp), and it’s really good!
The broccoli and cheese is obviously a delicious combination, but the smoky tempeh bacon gives it extra protein and complements the flavors so well!
For the pie crust:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold Earth Balance
- 6 tbsp non-hydrogenated organic vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
For the cheese sauce:
- 1 tbsp vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
- 1 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/8 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or substitute gluten free flour)
- 3/4 cups nutritional yeast
- 1 slice Daiya cheddar cheese (what I used) or 1/4 cup Daiya cheddar shreds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
For the pie filling:
- About 2 cups steamed broccoli
- 8 strips prepared tempeh bacon cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Place flours and salt in a food processor. Give it a quick whir to combine together.
- Add 2 tbsp of shortening, quickly pulse, and continue to add the shortening 2 tbsp at a time until you’ve put in 6 tbsp.
- Follow the same method with the Earth Balance as above.
- With the processor running, open the little opening thing on top and slowly pour in the water.
- Separate the dough into fairly equal halves.
- Smoosh into two round disk shapes, and wrap each in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes to 2 hours.
To make the pot pie:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out one of the dough disks into a thin circle on top of plastic wrap and with flour dusted onto the rolling pin.
- Carefully lift the dough while still on the plastic wrap onto a pie pan. Fold over the edges.
- Bake in the oven for five minutes. Take out and allow to cool while you prepare the rest.
- Steam broccoli in a steamer basket until bright green. Set aside in a bowl.
- Cook about 8 strips of tempeh bacon (I used Tofurky brand) with coconut oil in a frying pan until browned on both sides.
- Place on the bottom of the pie crust so that it covers the bottom of the crust.
- Make the cheese sauce: on medium heat, melt the earth balance in the almond milk. Turn to low heat. Add the flour and stir. Add the nutritional yeast and stir. Add the slice of daiya and allow to melt, while, you guessed it, stirring. Turn off the heat and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix this sauce in with the broccoli and scoop into the bottom pie crust.
- Roll out the other half of the dough as you did before, only this time placing the dough on top of the pie and closing the edges together.
- Cut slits or a design out of the middle.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes, slice, and enjoy.