Well well well, it’s the first Sunday of Vegan MoFo 2014 and I AM SO EXCITED! to give you my first Sunday Brunch recipe, because brunch foods are my favorite foods of all time.
This one was inspired by a fast food company that shall not be named. I loved their similar, non vegan sandwiches in my pre-vegan days. It was a weakness of mine, really. I tried to get it as close as possible, but it did fall short a bit. I think that if you really want to make it extra delicious, you might try frying the griddlecakes in a bit more oil than I did. I didn’t want to because I don’t like eating a lot of oil.
This recipe includes my recipe for sausage patties from the first Meaty Meatless Monday of MoFo 2014, which can be found here.
Here is the recipe for it all:
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp evaporated cane juice (white organic vegan sugar)
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Pecan Black Eyed Pea Sausage recipe
- Daiya Cheddar Cheese Slices
- Cook sausages according to recipe.
- Keep sausages in an aluminum foil pouch on a single layer so that they stay warm while you make the pancakes. You can maybe start the pancake batter while you cook the sausages if you’re a good multitasking cook.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat sprayed with cooking oil.
- Place flour, baking powder, and evaporated cane juice in a large mixing bowl and mix together with a spoon.
- Add almond milk, maple syrup, and vegetable oil and mix until smooth with the spoon.
- Place brown sugar into batter, and briefly mix but not fully combine.
- Turn the griddle to medium or low heat, depending on your stovetop’s intensity.
- Pour batter onto griddle (about 1/4 cup worth) and flip when bubbly or when the edges are starting to look firm.
- Fry on the other side until thoroughly cooked.
- To assemble the griddle sandwiches, place a slice of the Daiya cheese on to one pancake while still hot.
- Place the sausage on top, and then another pancake.
- If you want to eat leftovers or save for later and reheat, microwave the cold pancake, daiya cheese, and sausage sandwich in a microwave for about 30 seconds, or broil in a toaste oven until the cheese melts and the sandwich is thoroughly heated.
also, see randomofo.com for a fun way to see other blogs participating in this blogging event (if not already familiar with it)!