Today is the day I bring you the recipe that some of my friends from RIVA (Rhode Island Vegan Awareness) have been patiently waiting for almost a month since the vegan Summer picnic in which I originally brought them to.
These have, in my opinion, the best tasting frosting ever! My mom who apparently finished all the leftovers of the frosting last night when I made them again yesterday from my class would agree.
Raspberry Lime Rickey Cupcake Recipe:
Makes 14 Jumbo cupcakes (use jumbo liners and fill them 2/3-3/4 full….)
or 24 regular size cupcakes
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted not solid
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups unflavored (plain) almond milk
- 2 limes worth of zest
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ~1/4 cup raspberries, preferably somewhat mushy when you use them
Ingredients for frosting:
- 1/2 cup earth balance
- 1/2 cup organic non hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 3 cups organic powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup raspberry lime rickey syrup (link here)
Directions for cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place jumbo liners (if using) into a muffin pan…it says you can place them onto a cookie sheet but I’m doubtful. Maybe try that if you have enough batter to make a few more cupcakes though. I just put 2 extra liners into a muffin pan that has 6 slots.
- Mix the melted coconut oil and sugar together in a stand mixer. Make sure you’ve already grated the lime zest and juiced the limes for the next step because the coconut will solidify more if you stop to do that after this step.
- Add the almond milk, lime zest, lime juice, and vanilla and mix on a low setting until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and baking powder and mix until a batter forms. You will want to scrape down the sides of the bowl really good with a spatula, and then mix a bit more.
- Fold in the raspberries and mix until the raspberries combine and are no longer whole.
- Place about 1/3 cup into each jumbo cupcake liner, or until 2/3-3/4 of the way full. For regular size cupcakes, you will have about 2 1/4 tbsp to put in each cupcake liner.
- Bake for about 23-25 minutes for the jumbo cupcakes, mine were good at 24. If using regular sized cupcake liners, bake for about 20 minutes.
- They will be an interesting green color when done, which I thought was cool and I hadn’t actually anticipated that effect!
Directions for the frosting (beware, this frosting is seriously one of the most amazing things I’ve invented, I believe…)
- Cream together the Earth Balance and shortening in the mixer.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, mix until large clumps form.
- Add the raspberry lime syrup and mix until fluffy.
- It becomes the most beautiful light pink color! And its flavor is totally amazing!!
- Frost the cupcakes after they have completely cooled, and add garnishes like a lime wedge or a raspberry on top!