During Girls Rock Camp this Summer, we had an influx of day old bagels being donated to us daily.It was awesome and fed a lot of hungry campers and volunteers. However, I ended up with most of the leftover, slightly stale bagels that we had cut in half for ease of serving. What was I to do with all these? Well, considering I was already thinking about recipes for Vegan MoFo (in the very early stages, however) I thought: VEGAN BAGEL BREAKFAST CASSEROLE!
And so, this beauty was born.
- 4 large somewhat stale everything bagels, cut in half and then into chunks
- Oil cooking spray
- Vegan chive and garlic (or onion) cream cheese (I used Go Veggie vegan brand by Galaxy Foods, Daiya makes one too)-the whole container
- 3 daiya cheddar slices, broken into bits
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1 cup unsweetened hemp milk
- 1/4 tsp (or less) Indian Black Salt (the kind that smells like eggs)—this is somewhat optional to your preferences and availability of this ingredient
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Heaping 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt, to taste (I used none)
- Spray a 13”x9” casserole dish with cooking oil spray
- Place bagel chunks into the dish, and spray the oil again over the bagels
- Take a butter knife and place chunks of the chive cream cheese around the bagel chunks
- Do the same with the pieces of Daiya cheddar slice bits (refer to picture)
- Drain and break up the tofu into a food processor, and add the hemp milk, blending until smooth
- Add the remaining ingredients into the processor and blend until combined
- Pour this mixture over the casserole you have assembled so far (picture)
- Cover with foil and place in the refrigerator over night.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, place in the oven for 45 minutes, uncover, and heat for another 5 minutes.
- Voila! Dig in!
Reference picture for step #4
Reference step 7
A photo of the finished product!