Growing up as a kid in New England, I had a soft spot for Dunkin Donuts’ strawberry frosted donuts. Since they are not vegan, I can no longer eat them. But when I started experimenting with making frostings out of fruit-based syrups, I knew making something similar would be possible.
These donuts are quite cake-like, almost with a spongy texture. I still like them though. The frosting, however is wonderful. My mom said it is even better than the one at Dunkin Donuts. It is a bit different, however. But still quite good.
Makes 6 donuts in a single donut pan
For the donuts:
- 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup organic evaporated cane juice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- generous dash of ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp applesauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the strawberry syrup:
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup organic evaporated cane juice
For the frosting:
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance margarine stick
- 1 tbsp organic non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup strawberry syrup
For the donuts:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the flour, evaporated cane juice, baking powder, and nutmeg.
- In a separate small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the remaining donut ingredients.
- Pour into the dry ingredients and stir together until combined.
- Spray the donut pan with oil if your pan is not a non-stick pan.
- Spoon batter into the donut pan.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes or longer, until the donuts become slightly gold. Check after 12 minutes and gauge from there.
- Take out of the oven and let cool 10 minutes.
- Place onto a cooling rack. You may need to take a butter knife and gently ease them out.
To make the syrup:
- Combine ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Stir continuously with a wooden spoon over low heat until thick and hot.
- Strain into a bowl. Allow to cool.
- You will have extra leftover after making the frosting which you can use on all sorts of delicious things.
To make the frosting:
- Cream together the Earth Balance and shortening with an electric handheld or stand mixer.
- Add in the powdered sugar. It will remain clumpy.
- Fold in the syrup, it will become soft and fluffy.
To make the donuts (time to make the donuts!!):
- Spread frosting around the tops of the donuts.
- Decorate with vegan sprinkles on top, if desired.