Welcome again to Vegan MoFo 2015!
Today’s prompt is to recreate a meal from my childhood. I’ve actually already done that multiple times, and wrote about the stories behind them, in my zine that accompanies this blog!
You can buy it from my Etsy shop here. Please keep in mind, that I wrote these recipes earlier in the year, before I went gluten free, so almost all of the recipes are made with gluten, many are not very easily adaptable either. I can no longer eat most of them either. Such sadness.
But, if you can eat gluten, here is one of a few recipes I will be highlighting from the zine this month!
Vegan Sausage Macaroni Skillet:
This used to be our favorite meal in our family, until my mom became allergic to milk. For awhile my mom would make it for us on special occasions, or if she couldn’t eat. Since going vegan, I remade it! It came out just as good, and healthier of course. My mom still couldn’t eat it because she can’t have soy. And now I can’t either until I find a good gluten free substitute for the Gimme Lean. Maybe that’s next on my recipe agenda…
- 1 package Gimme Lean Sausage style
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 15 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp vegan white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti)
- 1/4 cup plain almond milk or other non dairy milk of choice
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- Oil, as needed
- Break Gimme Lean up into pieces, and fry in a pan with a bit of oil until browned and a bit shiny. It should become firmer than it was before it was cooked.
- In a large skillet over high heat, add some oil and saute onions and peppers until they are shiny and start to become translucent. Add the sausage at this point.
- Stir in the tomatoes, uncooked macaroni (I promise it’ll be cooked when done), sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vegan sour cream and almond milk.
- Serve and enjoy.
I am a girl with curly curls too, nice to make your acquaintance through Vegan Mofo. I like the sound of your zine. And vegan Sausage Macaroni skillet, sounds interesting
Thanks! Nice to meet you as well! Curly girls of the world unite!
Pingback: Vegan MoFo 2015 Day 3, Post #3. Quick and Easy recipe. | Banana Curl, Vegan Girl