This recipe can be found in my zine, Childhood Favorites Veganized that you can buy on Etsy and see more recipes I veganized from my childhood and the stories behind them.
According to my mom, this was my great grandmother’s “signature” cookie.
PS: In the zine on the page this recipe is on there is a picture of me with a face covered in chocolate frosting as a child (pictures of me with my food covered face are a common theme in my childhood photo albums). Awhile ago, as part of the zine, I decided to recreate these types of pictures but with a twist–I’m not a kid anymore…
and because I wanted literal banana curls:
Doesn’t quite have the same effect as the childhood photos, haha!
On to the cookie recipe:
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine such as Earth Balance
- 1 cup vegan white sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 tsp Ener-g egg replacer, 2 tbsp water whisked together
- Extra sugar set aside in a shallow bowl for finishing the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix ingredients together.
- Roll into balls.
- Dip a fork in the sugar in the bowl. Press down with the fork onto the ball of dough, making an imprint. Repeat in a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.