When I was younger, my mom used to make a non vegan version of this that I loved. Every time she’d make it, she would say “Saffron and Garlic Aioliiiiii” all long and drawn out in a funny voice and it made me have fonder memories of it. It leaves you with horrible garlic breath, but is worth it.
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- Olive oil or spray oil
- 1 cup Just Mayo (vegan mayo brand…I do not recommend trying this with other brands of veganaise, they will get too thin and the taste won’t be the same)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Trim the ends of the asparagus off. Place in a baking pan with oil spread or sprayed on the bottom. Spray the tops of the asparagus with oil as well or use a couple teaspoons of oil if you don’t spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- To prepare the aioli, place the vinegar, agave, and saffron in a saucepan and bring it to a boil on medium heat.
- Allow the vinegar to cool in the refrigerator.
- Stir the garlic together with the Just Mayo.
- When the vinegar mixture is cool, mix together with the mayo and garlic.
- Dollop the aioli over the asparagus. Enjoy! It also makes a yummy dip for other veggies and such.