i have been very picky with vegan brownie recipes. Honestly, I haven’t found a good enough recipe and I’ve tried a lot. So, I decided to take the plunge and create my own. I really had no idea how it would turn out and got so nervous…I decided to try making plain brownies before I try to make them fancier for a secret recipe I’m currently working on for an Earth Balance baking contest. I decided once I made these that they’ll do the trick for that purpose, and wanted to share the recipe now for just the brownies, because I think they did come out pretty good for vegan brownies. My mom has a family recipe she uses that aren’t vegan, and I looked at that to get some ideas, but her recipe has way too many eggs to be able to veganize, as well as way too much margarine for my liking.
So here is the recipe:
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegan white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp flaxmeal
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 stick (8 tbsp, or 1/2 cup equivalent) earth balance margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix dry ingredients (except flaxmeal) in a bowl together.
- Make 2 flaxmeal “eggs” by whisking the 2 tbsp flaxmeal and 6 tbsp water together. Let sit until thick.
- Mix flaxmeal “eggs” and the rest of the wet ingredients into the dry. It should have a runny yet thick consistency.
- Place in a baking dish sprayed with oil.
- Bake brownies for 20-30 minutes. I recommend after 20 minutes starting to check with a toothpick inserted into the middle until it comes out clear every five minutes and adjusting the time if it seems it will be done in less than 5. I find that ovens can vary drastically from oven to oven, so I want to make sure it works for you and say this! 🙂
- Take out of the oven when done. Let sit until cooled most of the way or fully, and slice, and enjoy!