So…I’ve been running training for my half marathon that’s slowly approaching in July. When I run, I burn a lot of calories and need to eat more than if I’m not exercising. I especially need carbohydrates.
I had been wanting to make cornbread and vegan hot dog twinkies, but they were out of the Field Roast brand I like when I went to the store. So, I decided to buy Field Roast mini breakfast sausages and use them instead. Besides, I thought they’d be the perfect size, and they were!
I made them with Bisquick mix…which is actually vegan! Or at least, some versions are!
This recipe on a canoe pan, aka twinkie pan…I’m not sure what you could do instead if you don’t have this kind of pan, but they were pretty cheap on amazon when I got mine, and worth it for all the twinkie like foods you can make with it!
Here is the recipe:
- 2 cups vegan Bisquick
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk or nondairy milk of choice
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 eggs worth of egg replacer (I used Ener-g powder mixed with the amount of water recommended on the box)
- 8 Field Roast mini apple maple sausages
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the Bisquick with the nondairy milk, brown sugar, and egg replacer.
- Pour or spoon batter into the cavities of the pan, about 3/4 of the way up. Save a little batter to cover the sausages with if needed later.
- Place the sausages in the middle of the canoe cavity. Push down until covered by the batter. You may need to spoon some extra batter on top to achieve this.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until puffy, firm, and golden.
- Enjoy with maple syrup and Earth Balance melted together.
Coming soon will be some healthier recipes, haha. Despite the appearance of this recipe, I’ve been on a big healthy food kick lately…can’t wait to share more of those types of recipes, and I have a few up my sleeve right now. 🙂