I basically honed my baking skills as a kid by making chocolate chip cookies from an alphabet cookbook for kids. It was the only recipe I used, and they always came out perfect. I thought my mom had thrown out the cookbook, but I recently found it and I had to veganize them and make them gluten free. The result was so perfect I was astonished!
Here it is:
- 1/2 cup white vegan sugar
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 2/3 cup melted Earth Balance or refined coconut oil
- 1 tbsp flaxmeal
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Flour
- 6 oz vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk flaxmeal with water in a small cup. Let sit and whisk several times until gelled.
- Mix together the sugars, melted Earth Balance or coconut oil, and flax egg.
- Stir in flour and baking soda.
- Add in chocolate chips.
- Form dough into small balls and place onto an ungreased cookie sheet. The recipe should make about 24 cookies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool and place on a cooling rack shortly after they come out of the oven.
- Enjoy ! I know I will!