Okay, so I’ve been meaning to make mashed potatoes out of cashew cream, and finally did. The results are amazing. I need to share it with you, alongside an air fryer soy curl recipe. Put these two with some green veggies and maybe some cornbread if you want, and you have a whole meal!
Mashed potato recipe:
- 4-5 large potatoes of choice, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup raw cashews, either soaked in water overnight or boiled with water covering them for 15 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp dried or fresh chives
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the cashews if necessary. Allow to cool.
- Boil the potatoes in a pot of water (just enough to cover them). I start a timer once the water boils for 15 minutes, and they’re almost always ready for me after that. If you’re not sure, test to make sure a fork can smoothly go into them before you stop boiling them.
- Blend the cashews, water, and salt in a blender while the potatoes are cooking. Set aside. You want the cream to be smooth, not chunky, so make sure you blend for long enough to achieve this. I do think it works better when you boil the cashews as opposed to soaking them.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain the water.
- Place back in the pan. Mash together with the vegan margarine and cashew cream.
- Fold in the nutritional yeast, chives, and salt and pepper as desired.
Enjoy the delicious creaminess. They taste even better when you reheat them the next day.
For the air fried soy curls, here is what I did:
- 2 cups soy curls soaked in water with vegan chickun broth or veggie broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or gluten free tamari, added to the soaking broth
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke, also added to the soaking broth
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup gluten free Bisquick mix
- Seasoning as desired, I sprinkled some cajun seasoning on top before placing them in the air fryer
- Soak the soy curls for 15 minutes.
- Drain (but don’t rinse!)
- Coat the soy curls in the oil, then sprinkle on the Bisquick mix.
- Stir around a bit until the soy curls are completely coated.
- Place in the air fryer for 12 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Enjoy along side the mashed potatoes with your favorite dipping sauces.
Hope everyone is having a wonderful February so far!