With Vegan Pizza Day coming up at the end of the month (June 28 to be exact- rsvp to the facebook event!) I wanted to provide you with a kickass, blow your mind, original recipe for a unique vegan pizza for this occasion.
Today I tested out my idea. I was worried it would not go as planned, but it came out flawless.
It has a cornmeal crust made from this recipe, a cauliflower white sauce, sliced jalapenos, daiya cheddar, cream cheese stuffed crust, and a sprinkling of whole wheat breadcrumbs.
Here is the recipe. I have taken lots of pictures throughout the pizza making process to explain what I did a bit better.
- 1 cornmeal crust (recipe here)–I let it rise for a half an hour, but it was a hot day so I can’t be sure how long it’ll take you exactly. You will also want a bit of extra cornmeal and flour for when you roll out the crust
For the sauce:
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup unflavored almond milk
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Sprinkle of white pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp miso (I used chickpea miso)
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For the rest of the pizza:
- 4 jalapeno peppers, chopped into slices
- Daiya cheddar cheese shreds
- 1 tub plain vegan cream cheese (I used Go Veggie! brand)
- 2 tbsp whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Make the dough according to recipe.
- Let rise and make the sauce.
To make the sauce:
- Steam cauliflower until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Place cauliflower and all other ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place into a saucepan, and on medium heat, whisk frequently until bubbling and thickened a bit.
To assemble and cook the pizza:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Roll out the dough into a large circle. You will want to use extra flour/cornmeal on the surface and on the rolling pin to prevent sticking.
- Mix/stir up the vegan cream cheese until thick with a knife if it is separated as mine was.
- Using a tablespoon, place little dollops of the cream cheese a short distance away from the edge of the crust (see pictures below for a good idea of what I mean here).
- Then fold over the edges of the crust around it, pinching to secure slightly.
- Place about 2/3 cup or whatever you need of the sauce. You may need the whole batch, or you may need less, depending on how big your crust is. I used 2/3 cup.
- Sprinkle Daiya cheddar shreds around the top, use as much or as little as you like. I used about 1/2 cup.
- Place sliced jalapeno slices on top of the cheese.
- Sprinkle two tablespoons of whole wheat breadcrumbs.
- Bake 12-15 minutes in oven.
- Eat! And enjoy, because it’s pretty amazing if I dare say myself.
A detailed picture of how I stuffed and folded the crust.
After being baked and half eaten, a detail of the stuffed crust
A picture of a scrumptious baked slice
So there you have it! Hopefully I will be able to dream up some other ridiculous and amazing vegan pizza recipes this month, but we shall see. I do not know how I can top this one! haha