Saturdays are Soup, Salad, and Sandwich days! Here’s the first entry for a soup recipe!
This soup is the perfect sick day soup. The jackfruit shreds in the soup just like I vaguely remember the real deal to be like. You can add vegan oyster crackers and some nutritional yeast flakes into the soup like I did if you wish. It’s made in the crockpot to make it less time consuming and easier. It takes 6-7 hours to finish, so make sure you time it appropriately.
- 1 can young green jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed, chopped slightly
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 10 baby carrots cut into thirds
- 1 large onion cut into rings
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste (I used 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp ground black pepper)
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary crushed between fingers
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 2 cups water
- 5-6 sprigs worth of leaves from fresh thyme
- 1/2 lb noodles of choice (I used spiral noodles)
- Vegan oyster crackers or saltines (as a side or to stir into the soup)
- Nutritional yeast (optional)
- Place jackfruit, celery, carrots, and onions in bottom of crockpot.
- Pour olive oil on top and stir.
- Add all the spices and herbs except for the thyme and mix with a spoon to coat the veggies.
- Add broth and water.
- Add thyme leaves and give it a good stir.
- Turn the crockpot to low and simmer for 6-7 hours. Go about your business until then.
- When your soup is pretty much all ready, add the noodles and turn the crockpot to high heat, let it cook for about 10-15 minutes until the noodles are tender.
- Turn the crockpot off, taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Serve the soup in big soup bowls with saltines or oyster crackers, with some nutritional yeast sprinkled on top if desired.
- You can easily freeze this in a big container for when you get sick or want it in the dead of winter but don’t feel like cooking…just defrost and reboil or even place back into the crockpot until it’s boiling on high…
Enjoy! Hope everyone’s Vegan MoFo 2014 is going well! Thank you for commenting and being so kind. I try to look at other people’s blogs who are participating but I just started going to school full time and so I don’t have the most time to do that/remember. But I hope to be able to keep discovering more blogs that I like when I do have time!