First of all, I have a confession to make. You know my original brownie recipe I made awhile ago? When I wrote it down and published it on the blog, I forgot to include the amount of flour I used! I just updated my error now in that blog entry. So if you don’t want something as fancy as these delectable treats, or are not a big fan of pumpkin (like my parents…I do not understand them…but oh well) try those.
Here is the recipe:
Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
for the Brownie layer:
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup vegan white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp flaxmeal
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 stick (8 tbsp) Earth Balance Vegan margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup non dairy milk (I use almond milk)
for the cheesecake layer:
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (I used canned)
- 1/2 container (4 oz) vegan cream cheesed (I used daiya cream cheese-I feel it’s the best vegan cream cheese brand out there)
- 1 tsp ener-g egg replacer powder
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix all dry ingredients (except flaxmeal) in a bowl together.
- Make 2 flaxmeal “eggs” by whisking the flaxmeal with the water. Let sit until it’s thick.
- Mix in the flaxmeal “eggs” and the rest of the wet ingredients into the dry ones.
- Place all the batter, minus 1/2 cup into a greased square baking pan (mine was probably 9″ x 9″?)
- Now make the pumpkin cheesecake mix by blending in a food processor the pumpkin and cream cheese. Set aside for a moment.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together the egg replacer and water until frothy.
- Add corn flour, maple syrup, and spice and whisk again.
- Add this mixture into the cream cheese and pumpkin and pulse the food processor a bit until fully incorporated.
- Cover the brownie layer with the cheesecake layer.
- Take the half cup of brownie batter you reserved, and spoon little dollops set apart from each other on top of the cheesecake layer.
- Take a fork and swirl the brownie batter and cheesecake to make a pretty design.
- Put into your oven for at least 30 minutes, you want a toothpick to be inserted and come up mostly clean with a bit of the wet cheesecake layer. It took my oven about 48 minutes, so I’d say a good range of baking time depending on your oven would be 40-50 minutes, but please be aware of what’s going on in your kitchen and start checking it when you start to smell it cooking occasionally.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool fully, slice, and enjoy!
Pingback: New York Style Cheesecake Recipe - eJo