In my honest opinion, peanut butter and chocolate is the best combination of flavors in the world. So, I was looking in one of my mom’s cookbooks recently to veganize a Chinese Chicken Salad recipe, and found a recipe for peanut ice cream. It calls for egg yolks (which I veganized with aquafaba) and cream and all kinds of non vegan stuff, so I adapted it quite a bit. It came out quite good. Here’s the recipe:
Peanut butter ice cream sundaes
(Adapted from a non-vegan recipe in the Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook)
For peanut butter ice cream:
- 1 can full fat regular coconut milk
- 1 can Trader Joe’s coconut cream (you can use another can of coconut milk if you don’t have a nearby trader Joe’s, it may not come out as creamy but it will still be good.)
- 1 15 oz can’s worth of drained chickpea liquid (also referred to as aquafaba)
- ½ cup vegan sugar
- 2/3 cup powdered peanut butter
- 1/3 cup smooth natural peanut butter
For fudge sauce:
- ¾ stick Earth Balance (6 tbsp)
- ¼ pound block of dark chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup vegan sugar
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1 cup coconut milk from a can
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
For ice cream:
- Drain the chickpeas and set aside the liquid. Place in a small saucepan and heat on low until fizzy and reduced to 1/3 cup. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Place the chickpea liquid into a ceramic mixing bowl along with the sugar. With an electric mixer, beat for about 5 minutes until peaks form and ribbons fall off the beaters.
- Pour the coconut milk and coconut cream into a large saucepan. Whisk a bit by hand until the clumps come out of the coconut cream and it is smooth. Heat on the stove until hot but not boiling.
- Take off the heat and add in the chickpea liquid/sugar mixture and whisk by hand until combined.
- Place on heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. It is ready to go when the liquid coats the back of the spoon.
- Allow to cool for at least a half hour off the heat. Add in the peanut butter and peanut butter powder and transfer to a blender. Blend until combined.
- Place in a container and refrigerate overnight.
- Follow your ice creamer maker directions and then stick in the freezer after it’s ready for at least another hour before serving.
For fudge sauce:
- Melt the Earth Balance in a medium sized saucepan.
- Shut off the heat once melted, and add all ingredients except vanilla.
- Heat over medium heat until boiling while stirring constantly.
- When boiling, turn to low and stir for an additional 5-10 minutes until smooth and thick.
- Take the pan off the heat and add in the vanilla extract.
- Allow to cool briefly and serve while still warm on top of ice cream. You will need to refrigerate and reheat (try steaming with a double boiler) when using again.
Top your ice cream and fudge with peanuts and coconut whipped cream (that is if you can master it! I haven’t been able to for some reason…go figure).